The SafeEstates Blog

Out of State… But in Charge!

It seems that more and more often families have members who live in different areas of the country. While we think things usually go the smoothest if you select someone who lives in town or close by to be your health care agent, durable general power of attorney, executor, and/or trustee, if you don’t have someone you trust to serve in these roles who lives close by, you can choose a person who lives out of state instead. We have had many clients who select out of state fiduciaries and as long as the person who is serving for you realizes some travel may be required, the fact that someone lives out of state does not disqualify the person from serving a role in your plan.